Grain-free Falafel Wraps
By Shivangi Rao
Ingredients for Wraps
- Positively plantain tortillas Use code RAODYRECIPES for 20% off your order at http://www.positivelyplantain.com
- Chopped tomatoes greens, red onions (or any other fresh veggies you want for the wrap!)
- Creamy cilantro chutney for topping optional
- Lemon tahini dressing for topping optional
- Tzatziki dressing for topping optional
- Sriracha for topping optional
Ingredients for Falafels (this recipe is adapted from inspired by Irena Macri)
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked in warm water for 30-60 minutes
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- A few medium sized broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrots (water squeezed out)
- 1/3 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp Baharat seasoning or use 1/2 tsp each of turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, cumin powder, coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup blanched almond flour or use 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 1 egg optional
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil on top of falafel patties
- Soak raw cashews in warm water for 30-60 minutes. Drain them when done.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add soaked cashews, all veggies, garlic, spices, salt, pepper and tahini listed under falafel ingredients. Pulse until fully combined. This is your falafel batter.
- Remove batter into a mixing bowl and add almond flour and beaten egg (egg is optional). Mix until fully combined (flour should absorb moisture from batter).
- With clean hands, check consistency. If too wet, add some more flour. If too dry, add a tiny bit of water at a time. Note: Veggies should release water on their own as you pulse in the food processor so there should be enough moisture on its own. May require a little more flour if you use egg. Should not stick to your hands and should have enough moisture to still be able to be molded into patties easily.
- Use hands to form small balls from about 2 tbsp of dough and flatten them slightly using light pressure from palms of hands. Place them on lined baking sheet.
- If you have a pastry brush, brush the falafels with olive oil. If not, drizzling olive oil on top of patties if fine.
- Bake falafels for 15-20 minutes on one side. Remove tray from oven and flip them gently. Place back in oven for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown all around.
- Heat plantain tortillas on the stove until fully heated.
- Stuff each tortilla with fresh veggies, 2 falafel patties, and sauces of choice (suggested sauces in ingredients list). Wrap tortilla and fillings in foil or parchment paper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!