Pistachio Cardamom Indian Shortbread Cookies (Nankhatai)
By Shivangi Rao
- 2 cups almond flour I use Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom I use Pure Indian Foods
- 1/4 tsp baking soda I use Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios for garnish
- Erythritol powder refined sugar free powdered sugar substitute to dust cookies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine almond flour, matcha powder, cardamom, salt and baking soda.
- Then mix in melted ghee and honey until fully combined and dough forms. Note: recommend tasting dough at this point for sweetness. If you prefer it to be sweeter add a little more honey.
- Take 1 tbsp of cookie dough and use clean hands to roll into a ball and then slightly flatten with palms of hands. Place onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat with rest of dough.
- Use a butter knife to lightly score the tops of each cookie dough ball in the shape of an X. Don’t cut all the way through!
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The bottoms will just start to turn golden brown.
- Once finished, gently press crushed pistachios in the center of the X on each cookie. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet.
- Once fully cooled, dust with powdered erythritol or powdered sugar.
- Serve room temperature and store in an air tight container for up to a week. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!