Green Mango Curry (Udid Methi)
- 2 raw green mangoes
- 1 cup freshly ground coconut you can buy chunks of frozen coconut from Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Just let it thaw and then grind it in a blender!
- 1 tbsp white urad daal
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- A piece of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp brown sugar if paleo, use coconut palm sugar or date sugar
- 1 tsp salt add more to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Wash, peel, and chop the raw mangoes into cubes.
- Toss mangoes in turmeric powder, salt, and 1/4 cup water. Put in the instant pot (or a pressure cooker) and pressure cook on high for 2-3 minutes. If using a traditional pressure cooker, wait for 3 whistles.
- In a pan heated on low heat, slowly dry roast the fenugreek seeds, urad daal.
- Add these seeds, the ground coconut, and red chili powder into a blender. Pour in 1-2 tbsp of water (more if necessary as you blend). Blend until it forms a thick paste.
- Add the cooked mangoes to a pot along with the paste. Add salt, sugar, and a few curries to leave.
- Mix everything with 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil stovetop. The curry should thicken over time.
- In a separate small pan, heat coconut oil on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and let them temper in the oil (they will pop). Add asafoetida and a few more curry leaves once mustard seeds have almost finished popping. Let it cook in oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour this hot oil mixture on top of your curry.
- Serve the curry hot with rice or cauliflower rice!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!