Instant Pot Avial (Kerala Coconut Curried Vegetables)
- Instant Pot
- 5-6 cups of vegetables summer squash, eggplant, carrots, green plantains, green beans cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 5 sprigs of curry leaves ~30-40 leaves
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup fresh coconut grated/ ground
- 1 cup water for curry
- 1 cup water for instant pot
- 2-3 tsp salt to taste
- 5 thai green chilies
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt If Whole30 use coconut cream
- Chop all veggies evenly in 2-inch strips
- Press Instant Pot to saute mode and fry mustard seeds in the coconut oil (they will make a popping noise). Add curry leaves once mustard seeds are done popping.
- Dump all veggies in the instant pot. Add in one cup of water, turmeric, and salt. Mix gently.
- Put Instant Pot on Pressure Cook on high for 5 minutes. Quick-release pressure when finished.
- Meanwhile, take one cup of thawed fresh ground coconut (you can buy frozen fresh chunks of coconut from Trader Joe’s and put it in a blender to grind it up once thawed). Blend ground coconut with 1 cup of water, 5 thai green chilies, and 1.5 tsp of cumin seeds. Blend until it forms a thick coarse sauce.
- Add this sauce to the cooked veggies. Add in 1 cup of yogurt. Add more salt to taste if necessary. Mix everything slowly but well (don’t break veggies while mixing!).
- Serve hot with rice or cauli rice!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!