Indian Street Food (Chaat) Breakfast Waffles
By Shivangi Rao
- 1/2 cup sweet potato purée
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder/flour Note: if you don’t have this ingredient on hand you can leave it out but would then reduce sweet potato purée to 1/4 cup otherwise waffles will not be as crispy
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Creamy cilantro chutney or buy online / in a store for topping
- Tamarind date chutney or buy online / in a store for topping
- Chopped red onion for topping
- Beaten yogurt with 1/4 tsp cumin powder for topping I use Straus European style yogurt
- 1 fried egg per 2-3 waffles for topping
- Chopped jalapeño or Serrano chili for garnish
- Pinch of coriander powder and red chili powder for garnish
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a mixing bowl whisk together sweet potato purée, eggs, and melted coconut oil. Once mixed, add almond flour, baking soda, coriander, cumin, chaat masala, and salt.
- Heat your waffle maker. Place batter in a waffle maker and let cook. Remove waffle from waffle maker when it’s golden brown. I have a mini waffle maker so I used 2 tbsp of batter to make one waffle. It took 2 minutes of cook time for each waffle.
- Meanwhile, fry up a few eggs with just salt and pepper (one egg per serving of waffles). I kept my yolk runny.
- Place 2-3 waffles on a plate. Top with one fried egg, red onions, and generous amounts of cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, and a drizzle of yogurt. Add a pinch of coriander powder and red chili over waffles, and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Also, garnish with a few thin slices of jalapeño or Serrano chilies. This plate is one serving for one person.
- Serve hot!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!
I didn’t have all the ingredients so i went for half almond flour/half hazelnut flour, mixed my leftover cornstarch with tapioca starch, and used different spices because i don’t have chat masala either :/ i ate them with homemade guacamole and pan seared mushrooms, it was a delish ! I can’t wait to make them again with the appropriate condiments ! Thank you for this recipe !
So glad to hear that you enjoyed them!!