Aloo Tikki (Spiced Potato Patty)
By Shivangi Rao
- 3-4 russet potatoes 1 potato makes ~2 patties
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala optional
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or 1 serrano green chili chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1-2 tbsp ghee
- Wash the potatoes (skin on).
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring water to a boil on medium heat.
- Add potatoes to boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked and soft. You may also bake the potatoes at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes or until soft.
- Remove potatoes from boiling water or oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel skin from potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl and mash with a spatula or masher until it’s well mashed and broken down.
- Add in tapioca flour, all spices, and salt listed in ingredients above with potatoes. Mix well until fully combined. Taste mixture and adjust spices and seasonings as necessary.
- Use your clean hands and rub a little oil on each palm (prevents potato mixture from sticking to hands). Take a tablespoon of potato mixture and roll into a flattened circle (about 2-3 inches in diameter) to form patties.
- Heat oil on a pan on low heat. I prefer ghee, coconut oil, or avocado oil. Make sure the pan is fully coated with oil
- Place patties on the pan leaving enough room to flip them. Make sure each side is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove patties from pan once all sides are golden and crispy.
- Serve with my Cilantro Mint Chutney and Tamarind Date Chutney. To make chaat, serve with beaten yogurt, chutneys, chopped red onions, tomatoes, and anything else you want to top it with. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!