Indian Beet and Yogurt Salad
By Shivangi Rao
- 4 beets roasted peeled, and cut into thin long pieces or grated
- 4 cups full-fat plain yogurt if you’re doing whole 30 or are vegan or dairy-free, use coconut yogurt or almond milk yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 serrano pepper
- Salt to taste
- A handful of cilantro for garnish optional
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and dry beets thoroughly. Place on a lined baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork-tender. You may have to check to start at 45 minutes depending on the size of your beets. Prick each beet with a fork and it should very easily go in.
- Remove roasted beets from oven and let cool. Once cooled, use a peeler to peel the skin from beets.
- Grate beets using a grater or cut beets into thin pieces, 1 inch in length. Place grated beets in a bowl.
- Add the full-fat plain yogurt to the bowl and mix with beets. Yogurt will start turning pink!
- Meanwhile, slice a serrano chili in half.
- In a small pan on medium heat, add coconut oil or ghee. Once melted and oil is hot, add cumin seeds and serrano chili halves. Let cumin seeds turn golden brown.
- Pour hot oil with cumin seeds and chilies over the bowl of beets & yogurt.
- Mix everything well. Add salt to taste and mix well. Add more salt if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve room temperature or chilled and enjoy!
- (Note: the longer the salad sits, the more purple in color it will turn!)
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!