These delicious and nutritious salmon cakes come together in a pinch and are rich in Indian flavors! These are inspired by flavors found in aloo tiki, a spiced potato patty topped with delicious chutneys commonly enjoyed in India. I’ve infused these flavors into a healthy salmon cake. You can use canned, wild caught salmon or tuna, and even sardines for this recipe. I love topping these savory cakes with my avocado chutney during whole30 for a meal that is filled with proteins and healthy fats. When I’m not on whole30, I enjoy it with a cooling yogurt sauce. Hope you enjoy this!
Indian Style Salmon Cakes
By Shivangi Rao
- 2 6 oz. cans wild caught salmon, thoroughly drained 12 oz total. Important to drain water completely!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 medium onion finely chopped yellow or red onion will work
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ghee or coconut oil to pan fry
- Avocado chutney or cumin garlic yogurt sauce to serve with the cakes! Use avocado chutney if Whole30; omit yogurt sauce.
Ingredients for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce (if not on Whole30)
- 2 cups full fat yogurt whisked until smooth. NOTE: If you use greek yogurt, it will be quite thick but will work as a dipping sauce.
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Instructions for Salmon Cakes
- Combine all ingredients listed above in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Form evenly sized cakes (about 2 inches in diameter) using your hands and set aside. NOTE: They should form a batter that binds easily. If they're too wet, add a little more almond flour.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and add a couple tbsp of oil in the pan. Once oil is melted, place 3-4 cakes in pan at a time leaving enough room to flip them. Fry on each side until golden brown. Repeat this process until all cakes are fried.
- Serve immediately with avocado chutney or cumin garlic yogurt sauce, fresh chopped cilantro and fresh lemon wedges! Enjoy!
Instructions for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Combine all ingredients listed in a bowl and whisk well until smooth.
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!
I’m not a fan of canned salmon. Can you use fresh salmon? If so, would you cook it first.?
Hi! Yes you may. Just cook until just cooked through. Let it cool a bit and then combine with the rest of the ingredients. I’ve never tried before so Let me know how it turns out!
I’d love to make this recipe with the green sauce in the photo. Should I assume that your avocado chutney sauce pictured?
Yes! It’s avocado chutney. Here’s the recipe link: https://raodyrecipes.com/recipes/vegetarian-dishes/2021/01/03/creamy-cilantro-chutney/