These delicious and nutritious salmon cakes come together in a pinch and are rich in Indian flavors! These are inspired by flavors found in aloo tiki, a spiced potato patty topped with delicious chutneys commonly enjoyed in India. I’ve infused these flavors into a healthy salmon cake. You can use canned, wild caught salmon or tuna, and even sardines for this recipe. I love topping these savory cakes with my avocado chutney during whole30 for a meal that is filled with proteins and healthy fats. When I’m not on whole30, I enjoy it with a cooling yogurt sauce. Hope you enjoy this!
Indian Style Salmon Cakes
- 2 6 oz. cans wild caught salmon, thoroughly drained 12 oz total. Important to drain water completely!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 medium onion finely chopped yellow or red onion will work
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ghee or coconut oil to pan fry
- Avocado chutney or cumin garlic yogurt sauce to serve with the cakes! Use avocado chutney if Whole30; omit yogurt sauce.
Ingredients for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce (if not on Whole30)
- 2 cups full fat yogurt whisked until smooth. NOTE: If you use greek yogurt, it will be quite thick but will work as a dipping sauce.
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Instructions for Salmon Cakes
- Combine all ingredients listed above in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Form evenly sized cakes (about 2 inches in diameter) using your hands and set aside. NOTE: They should form a batter that binds easily. If they're too wet, add a little more almond flour.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and add a couple tbsp of oil in the pan. Once oil is melted, place 3-4 cakes in pan at a time leaving enough room to flip them. Fry on each side until golden brown. Repeat this process until all cakes are fried.
- Serve immediately with avocado chutney or cumin garlic yogurt sauce, fresh chopped cilantro and fresh lemon wedges! Enjoy!
Instructions for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Combine all ingredients listed in a bowl and whisk well until smooth.