A soup so flavorful yet simple, and will warm you to your fingertips. I know it’s May and definitely not soup season, but apparently it’s still snowing on the east coast (?!) so here we are.
This is my favorite soup to order at Thai restaurants. It’s so comforting and filling, and just feels so nourishing.
This is refined sugar free, gluten free, and can be made vegan but tastes just like the authentic soup. Included options for all diets and easy replacements if you can’t find fresh lemongrass, galangal, etc. It’s savory, tangy, spicy, and slightly sweet. Can’t wait for you to try this!
Tom Kha Gai
By Shivangi Rao
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 2 tbsp fish sauce I use sugar free Red Boat fish sauce or 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari if vegetarian
- 1/2 red onion or same quantity of shallots thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1/2 red jalapeno pepper or Thai chilies sliced in half
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces optional if you don’t have access to this
- 2 tsp red Thai curry paste optional but adds great flavor if you don’t have galangal and lemongrass
- 2 tsp Yai’s Thai chili garlic hot sauce
- 8 oz package of mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1-2 medium tomatoes chopped into big chunks
- Juice from 2 limes if you didn’t use lemongrass you may need more lime juice
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2-3 green onions chopped optional
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- On medium heat, add coconut oil to a pot.
- Sauté shallots or red onion in oil once melted until they start to brown. Turn down heat to low-medium.
- Add garlic, ginger, Thai chilies, lemongrass and sauté quickly.
- Add in red curry paste and/or chili garlic hot sauce and sauté quickly.
- Add in coconut milk and broth and let it all cook for 10-15 minutes and let it simmer on medium heat. Note: at this stage I’d add in any protein if you wish and let it cook fully. If using meat like chicken, it may take 20-30 minutes to cook.
- Add in fish sauce or coconut aminos, lime juice, coconut sugar, followed by mushrooms and tomatoes. Let it cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!