Spring Peas with Turmeric & Coconut (Marathi Green Peas Usal)
By Shivangi Rao
- 1 10 oz bag of green peas frozen
- 2 Serrano chilies sliced in half
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut you can find in ethnic or Indian grocery stores or desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 2 tbsp oil of choice I prefer ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A dash of asafoetida optional
- On medium heat, add a bag of peas to a pan along with the sliced serrano chilies. Slowly saute peas and chilies.
- Once the peas are thawed and halfway cooked, add the coconut, chopped cilantro, freshly black pepper, and salt to taste. Continue to saute slowly, being careful to not break or mash peas.
- If the peas seem to be drying out, add 1/4 cup water to add moisture as the peas continue to cook.
- Once the peas are fully cooked, squeeze the juice of half a lemon on top. Turn heat to low.
- In a separate small pan on medium-high heat, add oil.
- Once the oil is hot in the pan, add mustard seeds. They will temper in the hot oil and you will hear popping noises. Once the mustard seeds are finished being tempered (the popping noises will stop), turn the heat off.
- Then, add in the dash of asafoetida (optional) and turmeric into the hot oil.
- Immediately pour this mixture of hot oil with mustard seeds, turmeric, and asafoetida on top of the peas in the other pan.
- Slowly toss the peas with the oil mixture, being careful to not break or mash peas.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, and lemon juice as needed.
- Garnish with extra chopped cilantro if you wish.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!