Instant Pot Goan Shrimp Curry
By Shivangi Rao
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound wild-caught shrimp thawed or fresh deveined, peeled, cleaned
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper sliced vertically into four pieces optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder or more depending on your spice tolerance. I use 1 tsp!
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves grated/minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 tsp gluten-free tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add in coconut oil and chopped onions and sauté.
- Once onions become translucent, add in garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all spices, salt, and pepper. Sauté with onions garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in fresh or thawed shrimp (deveined, peeled, and cleaned). Mix well with spices and onions. Then add coconut milk. Stir well making sure to get bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cancel sauté mode. Set instant pot to low (make sure it’s on low!) pressure mode and set the timer to 3 minutes. Close the lid and move the valve to seal.
- Once finished pressure cooking, release steam immediately by moving the valve to the vent. Once the steam is fully released, remove the lid and turn off the instant pot. Remove insert from the instant pot so the shrimp doesn’t keep cooking.
- Stir the curry and taste. Adjust spice and salt to your liking.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!
I made this tonight and it was great! I had to sub the tamarind paste with 1tsp white vinegar and 1tsp brown sugar. I ended up using 1/2 tsp arbol chilli powder. It was the perfect heat for us! I didn’t have cilantro tonight so I used dried fenugreek leaves as garnish. We LOVED it! I think this curry sauce would be great with fish or chicken as well. Can’t wait to try it again! Thank you!
I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed this recipe, Amanda! 😊 Yes it would be great with any other fish!
Just made this for lunch – SO DELICIOUS and easy to make!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!!!
Hi there! Would it be possible to make this on the stovetop if I don’t have an instant pot? Would the timings be very different?
Hi Axel! You can definitely follow the same directions for cooking this on the stove vs instant pot. Just make sure the shrimp is cooked; I would imagine it wouldn’t be too much of a time difference as shrimp cooks quickly! Let me know how it goes!