Crispy Za’atar Lemon Chicken with Feta Yogurt Drizzle
By Shivangi Rao
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp za’atar seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or paprika use cayenne if you want it to be spicier
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic optional
- 1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- Parsley for garnish
Ingredients for Feta Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup full fat European style yogurt I use Straus European style yogurt because it’s a thinner consistency which makes for a great drizzle
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Drizzle olive oil on a cast-iron skillet or lined baking sheet (note: crispy chicken will result best from using a cast-iron skillet)
- Lay chicken thighs on the skillet
- In a bowl, whisk together za’atar, cayenne, salt, black pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice (this will be your marinade).
- Coat chicken thighs with this marinade.
- Lay thin slices of lemon flat on the skillet between the pieces of chicken.
- Lay 2-3 cloves of garlic on the skillet as well.
- Place in oven and roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Remove after 20 minutes and drizzle juice in a skillet on top of chicken once more (almost like basting).
- Meanwhile, create the feta yogurt sauce by combining ingredients listed above in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Place skillet back in the oven. Roast for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off the oven. Set to boil on high. Broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley (optional) and drizzle the feta yogurt sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!