This Kadhi is inspired by Punjabi Kadhi but is made without chickpea flour to keep it legume free for those who have trouble digesting. The taste will alter a bit but it still has the tangy, spicy, and rich taste/texture of the original Punjabi Kadhi!
Punjabi Inspired Kadhi [Chickpea-Free]
- 1 cup full-fat European style yogurt I use Straus. Do not use reduced-fat or Greek yogurt.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tbsp arrowroot powder grain/legume-free thickening agent
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 yellow or red onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1- inch ginger grated
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chilies broken in half
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- Pinch of hing asafetida
- In a mixing bowl combine yogurt, water, and arrowroot powder. Stir in turmeric and set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add in ghee and let melt. Once melted add in mustard seeds and let them temper. Once popping of seeds slows down, add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, bay leaves, cloves. Let them all temper in hot oil with mustard seeds.
- Add in the chopped onion and sauté with spices until well browned and cooked.
- Add in turmeric yogurt mixture and salt into a pot and let it cook on medium-high heat. Stir frequently for 10 minutes. It’ll turn more yellow as the turmeric cooks.
- Once heated add in hing, red chili powder, fenugreek leaves, and lemon juice. Let cook for 5 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot with cauliflower rice or white rice! Enjoy!