Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
By Shivangi Rao
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb pasture-raised Italian sausage NOTE: If you’re vegetarian or vegan, use veggie sausage!
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cups packed with chopped kale or any other greens
- 2 cups baby rainbow potatoes chopped in half
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 can chilled full fat coconut milk or coconut cream must be full fat – chill in the fridge so cream separates from water. Use only cream
- 3/4 – 1 cup low sodium broth make sure there’s enough liquid so contents of the pot are in liquid but still showing so not fully immersed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper I used almost 1 tsp because I like a peppery broth but start with 1/2 and add more if you wish
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper Use less if you can’t tolerate spice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Add oil, onions, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, and garlic. Saute until onions have cooked down (a few minutes).
- Add in sausage and saute until mostly browned.
- Add in broth and chopped potatoes and give it a good stir.
- Cancel saute mode on Instant Pot. Set it to pressure cook mode on high for 10 minutes. Set valve to sealing.
- Once done pressure cooking, set valve to venting. Let steam release fully. Remove lid, and add in coconut milk, greens, and lemon juice.
- Stir everything well. Taste and adjust seasonings (especially black pepper, crushed red pepper, and salt).
- Turn on the “sauté” mode. Let everything come to a boil for 10-15 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. This helps remove the coconut flavor from the coconut milk.
- Then, let everything sit for about 30 more minutes on the “Keep warm” mode on Instant Pot. This allows the flavors to really combine.
- Serve hot, garnish with fresh parsley and/or parmesan cheese (optional), and eat with some crusty gluten-free or regular bread. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!