Cream of Sweet Potato, Kale, & Spicy Sausage Soup
By Shivangi Rao
- 2 medium Japanese or regular sweet potatoes
- 1 package of Applegate Whole 30 approved sausage casing removed, cooked, and ready to heat
- 1 cup of chopped frozen or fresh kale
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes (skin on). Roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Once done cooking, remove from oven. Let cool and peel skin off once cool.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot and add in coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to blend fully. This will be your cream of sweet potato soup base.
- Chop sausage into 1/4 inch thick pieces and set aside.
- Grate garlic and set aside.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Add oil to the pan and let it melt.
- Add sausage and grated garlic to the pan along with cumin, coriander, and red chili powder. Saute until sausage begins to crisp up a little on the outside.
- Add in the kale, salt, and pepper and saute with sausage until tender.
- Put entire sausage/kale mixture from pan into the pot with the cream of sweet potato soup. Add in one cup of water. Mix everything well.
- Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat until fully heated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (especially salt and spice).
- Serve hot!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!