Golden Fig Chutney
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lb black mission figs – washed and chopped in half usually 1 carton full at the grocery store
- 1 tsp ghee coconut oil, or avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- Wash and chop figs in half
- On medium heat, place oil in a pot.
- Add mustard seeds and fennel seeds to the pot. Let mustard seeds temper (they will pop). Once mustard seeds are done popping, take the pot off of heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add figs, turmeric, lemon juice, salt, garam masala, and red chili powder to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture from the blender into the pot with the mustard and fennel seeds.
- Put the pot back on low-medium heat so turmeric and spices cook a bit with the figs. Keep stirring on and off for about 10 minutes or until fully heated through. It will also reduce the heat a bit.
- Taste and adjust spices and salt as necessary.
- Let cool.
- Store in an airtight jar and in the refrigerator – up to 1 week!
- Serve as a side to a regular dinner (or for thanksgiving!), or as a spread/spicy jam on toast, or as preserves on yogurt for breakfast!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!