Date & Pistachio Barfi (Sweetened Squares)
- 2.5 cups of pitted mejdool dates at room temperature
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup of unsalted/raw pistachios and almonds chopped
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Shredded coconut for garnish
- Add dates to a blender and blend until coarse (not completely smooth).
- NOTE: If dates that you have are dry, soak in warm water for 15 minutes before adding to the blender. Once done soaking, drain water, and add just soaked dates to the blender.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee to a pan on low heat. Add the chopped pistachios and almonds and saute in ghee for a few minutes. Make sure you keep sauteing so it doesn’t burn.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee to a pan on medium heat. Add coarse dates to the pan and saute until it coalesces.
- Add in nuts and keep mixing it into the dates until completely combined.
- Add in cardamom powder and mix well until it turns into a dough-like consistency.
- Lay the dough on a flat tray or lined baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Roll the dough out evenly with your hands until it forms a 3/4-1 inch thick large square/rectangle.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut all over.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours until it cools and solidifies.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into squares.
- Keeps in fridge for 3-4 weeks in a container.
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!