Spiced Turmeric Latkes & Garam Masala Applesauce
By Shivangi Rao
- Ingredients for Latkes:
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 serrano green chili chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1-2 tbsp ghee for frying
- Ingredients for Applesauce:
- 1 cup organic applesauce no sugar added
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice add if applesauce is not too tart
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar or 2-3 tbsp honey these are unrefined low glycemic sweetener options- adjust the amount based on your desired level of sweetness
- Instructions for latkes:
- Wash the potatoes (skin on).
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring water to a boil on medium heat.
- Add potatoes to boiling water and boil for 6-7 minutes (may take up to 15 minutes depending on size of your potatoes) or until fully cooked and soft.
- Remove potatoes from boiling water and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel skin from potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl and mash with a spatula until it’s well mashed and broken down.
- Beat the egg separately and add it into the bowl with mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Add in all spices and salt listed in ingredients above with potatoes. Mix well until fully combined. Taste mixture and adjust spices and seasonings as necessary.
- Use your clean hands to make potato mixture and roll into a flattened circle (about 2-3 inches in diameter) to form patties.
- Heat oil on a pan on low heat.
- Place patties on the pan leaving enough room to flip them. Make sure each side is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove patties from pan once all sides are golden and crispy.
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream!
- Instructions for Garam Masala Applesauce:
- Combine all ingredients listed in a bowl and mix well.
- Adjust seasonings based on your preference.
- Serve at the side with latkes!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!