Otherwise known as Marathi Rasaa, this is my mom’s family recipe and I’m so excited to share it with you! Perfect for summer, fresh mint and cilantro are combined with ginger, garlic, lemon and coconut cream to create a refreshing curry sauce. Tender pieces of chicken are marinated in warm spices like garam masala, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves and more and then cooked in the fresh and delicious curry. It’s melt in your mouth delicious and a perfectly seasonal curry to make during hot summer months! Grain free, dairy free, gluten free, nut free and whole 30 friendly. Can’t wait for you to try this with some cauli rice or regular rice!
Mint Chicken Curry (Marathi Rasaa)
Ingredients for marinating chicken
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken drumsticks, thighs, or combo; if using thighs cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 cup of mint leaves
- 3/4 cup cilantro
- 8 Serrano or thai green chilies
- 2 inches ginger
- 10-12 cloves garlic
- Juice of one large lemon or 1/4 cup of lemon juice
Ingredients for curry
- 1 large yellow onion chopped finely
- 4 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 8-10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks each 1 inch long
- 10-12 whole peppercorns
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 can of full fat coconut milk
- Blend all marinade ingredients into a paste (may use a little water if needed but keep it minimal)
- Marinate chicken with this paste, plus salt and turmeric powder for at least 1 hour (preferably a few hours).
- Chop one yellow onion finely.
- Add oil to a large wok or 6 quart pan on medium high heat. Once oil is hot, Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks and peppercorns. Temper and sauté in oil for a minute or two and then add chopped onions. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken. Sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Cover it on medium heat and let cook for 8-10 more minutes, stirring gently in between so it doesn’t burn. Do not add water unless required.
- Remove lid, and add garam masala. Mix well with chicken.
- Add 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk (preferably cream). Stir well.
- Cover again and let cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings once chicken is cooked.
- Serve immediately!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!
Just made this for dinner – was fantastic! Had it over some roasted cauliflower, was a perfect combination. Thanks!!
so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you!