Creamy Smoked Paprika & Cumin Mushroom Soup
By Shivangi Rao
- 1 18 oz pack of sliced cremini or baby Bella mushrooms cleaned with a damp paper towel, and then dried with a paper towel
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking fat of choice I used ghee
- In a cast-iron skillet or pan of choice, add ghee to pan on medium-high heat.
- Add onions to skillet along with grated garlic, cumin powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Saute onions until cooked down.
- Add in mushrooms and saute until fully cooked and no more water is left from the mushrooms. Note: Mushrooms should get slightly charred and meaty on cast iron skillet. Add a little more oil if you need to.
- Turn off the heat once finished cooking mushrooms.
- Add most of the mushrooms to a separate stockpot (save a few extra crispy/meaty ones for garnishing the top of each bowl you serve).
- Add coconut milk to the stockpot as well. Use an immersion blender to fully blend coconut milk and mushrooms until creamy. You may also remove contents into a blender and blend.
- Once finished blending, place the pot on medium heat and let it come to a low boil so that coconut flavor from coconut milk mostly goes away. Stir frequently. The heat will also help soup to thicken.
- Once finished, taste and adjust seasonings as needed (especially salt – add more to your taste).
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a few leftover meaty mushrooms, chopped parsley, a dash of smoked paprika for color, or extra black pepper. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!