There’s nothing quite like a bowl of creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese. It’s so cozy, comforting and perfect for this chilly, winter weather. I love the fact that I can make a tomato soup that is just as comforting yet nourishing for my body. My creamy tomato soup will remind you of your childhood, yet packs in nutrients thanks to high quality ingredients and dairy free coconut milk to make it creamy.
I love to pair my tomato soup with a slice of toasted grain free AWG bread or grain free tortilla with melted grassfed cheddar on top. Perfect way to enjoy this childhood favorite without the extra calories and refined sugars/ simple carbohydrates!
The best part about this soup is that it comes together in just 15-20 minutes, and is a great lazy day meal solution! Let me know if you make it by commenting below. Enjoy!
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- 3-4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee or avocado oil or oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar optional
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk or dairy free milk of choice
- 1/4 cup parsley for garnish
- Add oil to a stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Add in onions, grated garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning and saute until onions and golden brown.
- Add in canned diced tomatoes and saute for a few minutes until broken down.
- Then add coconut milk and coconut sugar. Give it a good stir and let it simmer on low-medium heat for 5-10 more minutes.
- Once the soup is fully heated, taste and adjust spices/seasonings to your liking (especially salt).
- Pour hot soup (be careful when doing this!) to a blender and blend until creamy, or use immersion blender.
- Pour back into stock pot. Ladle into bowls or mugs. Garnish with lots of freshly chopped parsley. Serve hot!