This is the best thing to meal prep with. Kheema is Indian spiced minced meat, and can be made with any ground meat including beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and even bison would taste delicious! This is an Instant Pot recipe, but you can just as easily make stovetop, too. I love using this kheeam in tacos, burgers, or just paired with some veggies on the side for a complete meal. This is Whole30 compliant and needs to be part of your weekly meal prep rotation! Enjoy!
Instant Pot Kheema
- 1 pound of ground meat lamb, chicken, turkey, or pork work well too!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves grated garlic
- 1- inch grated ginger
- 1/4 bag frozen peas optional
- Handful chopped cilantro for garnish optional
- Chop the onions, and grate the garlic and ginger using a grater.
- Set your Instant Pot to the “Saute” mode. Add coconut oil or ghee to the pot. Add the cumin seeds and let them brown in the oil. Add the onions and saute them until they turn translucent. Add 1 cup of the diced tomatoes, garlic, and ginger, and bay leaf, and saute until cooked down.
- Add the ground lamb (or other meat of your choice) to the pot, along with the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Saute until meat is browned.
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Set it to Pressure Cook on high for 8 minutes if using lamb and quick-release pressure when finished. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes if using chicken and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then quickly release remaining pressure. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes if using pork and quick-release pressure when finished. Set pressure valve to "sealing" to start pressure cooking. Set pressure valve to “venting” to quick-release pressure.
- Open the lid, and set Instant Pot to “saute”. Add in frozen peas and cook them down for a few minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot!