This is the best dish to meal prep with. Kheema is Indian spiced minced meat, and can be made with any ground meat including beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and even bison would taste delicious! This is an Instant Pot recipe, but you can just as easily make stovetop, too. I love using this kheema in tacos, burgers, bowls, or just paired with some veggies on the side for a complete meal. This is Whole30 compatible and needs to be part of your weekly meal prep rotation! Enjoy!
Instant Pot Kheema
- 1 pound of ground meat lamb, chicken, turkey, beef or pork work well!
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped finely
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes I sometimes like using canned diced tomatoes because it's more tangy
- 4-5 cloves grated garlic
- 1- inch grated ginger
- 1/4 10 oz bag frozen peas optional
- Handful chopped cilantro for garnish
- Chop the onions, and grate the garlic and ginger using a grater or microplane.
- Set your Instant Pot to the “Saute” mode. Add coconut oil or ghee to the pot. Add the cumin seeds and let them brown in the oil. Add the onions and saute them until they turn translucent. Add 1 cup of the diced tomatoes, garlic, and ginger, and bay leaf, and saute until cooked down.
- Add the ground meat of choice to the pot, along with the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Saute until meat is browned.
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Turkey or lamb: Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes and quick-release pressure when finished. Chicken: Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes and naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then quick-release remaining pressure. Beef: Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes and naturally release pressure for 5 minutes and then quick-release remaining pressure. Pork: Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes and quick-release pressure when finished
- Open the lid, and set Instant Pot to “saute”. Add in frozen peas and cook them down for a few minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot!