Baklava Cookie Crumble
By Shivangi Rao
- Cookie base ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons softened butter warm in the microwave for 15-20 seconds if you’re in a rush
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract I use brands that do contain have alcohol
- 2 cups almond flour I use Bob’s Red Mill brand
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Baklava filling ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts pistachios, or cashews (or divide each into 1/4 cup and make separate fillings for each nut type)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Combine the butter and the pure maple syrup to a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Then, to the same wet mixture, add the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt to make your dry flour mixture.
- Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir together until combined. This is your cookie dough. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate mixing bowl, place nuts in a food processor and pulse until chopped into smaller pieces, but not too fine!
- Place chopped nuts in a mixing bowl with honey and cinnamon (see ingredients and measurements for baklava filling above). Mix well until fully combined. This is your baklava filling. Set aside.
- Take out one tablespoon of cookie dough at a time of the batter and gently mold it into the shape you want (mine are usually slightly flat and round).
- Use the back of a teaspoon to create a “thumbprint” in the middle of each cookie.
- Place 1/2 a teaspoon of the baklava filling in each thumbprint.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool until it’s slightly above room temperature (warm).
- Enjoy cookies as they are or turn them into a crumble for topping ice cream, frozen yogurt, or regular yogurt!
- To form crumble: Use a fork or clean fingers to crumble the cookie. You can also place cookies in a food processor and pulse until crumbled.
- Place warm crumbles on top of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!