Jamaican Red Beans and Rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or cooking oil of choice
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 2-3 tsp cayenne or paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups uncooked white rice I use basmati or jasmine
- Rinse rice and drain.
- Heat a pot with oil. Add onions, garlic, cayenne, thyme, adobo, bay leaves, and let onions cook down in the spices.
- Add tomato paste and continue to saute with onions.
- Add in uncooked rice and rinsed beans to pan. Sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in 3-4 cups veggie broth along with 1/2 can of coconut milk.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer on low-medium heat. Remove lid intermittently to gently stir. Add more water or broth if needed until rice is fully cooked.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Serve hot with Jerk Chicken or Jerk Tofu & Pineapple (both recipes on my blog)!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!