Pulled Masala Jackfruit Tacos
By Shivangi RaoThis recipe was inspired by a similar vegan recipe by the Minimalist Baker and Rooh SF’s brunch jackfruit tacos.
- 2 16 oz cans jackfruit in water or brine make sure there are no sugars, syrups, or additives!
- 2 tbsp oil of choice I use ghee
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup water or more as needed
- Siete Foods grain-free tortillas or tortillas of choice
- Cumin garlic yogurt sauce thinly sliced radishes, sliced avocados, chopped pineapples, salsa, and/or chopped cilantro for garnish (optional – any toppings you want are fine!)
Ingredients for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 cups Straus European yogurt
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tsp roasted cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Instructions for tacos:
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit. Remove the firm parts from the jackfruit pieces. Roughly chop jackfruit pieces into thin slices so they look “pulled” (similar to how pulled pork looks). If it’s not all pulled, it can be further shredded during the cooking process.
- Add oil to a pan on medium-high heat. Add onions, grated garlic, and all spices (garam masala, cumin, coriander, cayenne, paprika) to the oil and saute until onions are softened.
- Add in jackfruit pieces and saute with onions and spices. Add salt and pepper as well.
- Use your cooking utensil to continue to separate the jackfruit pieces until they are all fully “pulled”. Add in water for additional moisture as needed so jackfruit doesn’t burn.
- Add in maple syrup and lemon juice and continue to saute well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. The jackfruit should have a balance of sweet, savory, and spicy!
- Remove from pan and put on cooked tortillas, and top generously with toppings of choice. I put the cumin garlic yogurt sauce (see instructions to make this below), avocado, salsa, radishes, and cilantro on mine! Enjoy!
Instructions for Cumin Garlic Yogurt Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients listed in a bowl and mix well until smooth. Drizzle on top of your tacos!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!