Instant Pot Chicken Makhani (Butter Chicken)
By Shivangi Rao
- 2 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch or 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder cayenne
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp dried kasoori methi fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce do not substitute tomato sauce with crushed or diced tomatoes! it will not taste the same in the end
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat OR 1/2 5.4 oz can coconut cream.OR 1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt if you can tolerate dairy. Adjust the amount depending on how much creaminess you would like.
- 1 bell pepper chopped green, yellow, or red chopped (optional)
- A handful of chopped cilantro for garnish optional
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode.
- Cut chicken thighs into smaller pieces (I cut mine into halves or quarters depending on the size of the chicken thigh)
- Add ghee and chopped onions to the pot. Sautee for a few minutes until onions start cooking down.
- Add chicken thighs along with garlic, ginger, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, smoked paprika, ground cumin, coriander powder, salt, and pepper. Saute chicken in onions, spices, and ghee until no longer pink (4-5 minutes). If spices start to burn add a little more oil.
- Add tomato sauce/puree on top, along with chopped peppers (if you’re using any), and mix well with chicken and spices. Make sure to get any browned bits of spices on the pan with your cooking utensil and mix into the sauce!
- Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook mode on high for 9 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to “Sealing”.
- Quick-release pressure when done by setting the valve to “Venting”.
- Open Instant Pot once pressure has fully released. Add in coconut milk and kasoori methi. Mix well and let it thicken a bit on saute mode for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot!
Tried this recipe?Mention @raodyrecipes if you like it!